JDBarlow's Content on RedGage

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Do you know the price of freedom?

What is the price of freedom? If you pay any attention to the world today, that is a question that occurs to each of us at some point. As I watched the riots erupt in the Middle East and later the tearing down of the border fences in Israel, I had to ask myself what would I do to protect my family and myself. Would I show as much restraint or would I lose myself in the moment and do something that would haunt me for the rest of my life? This is a question that has validity when it comes to our personal freedoms here in the United States. Unlike Israel, we here in the United States do not have to deal with hostile nations on three sides rather we have an immigration problem that has been persistent since the formation of the nation itself. Yet, despite our relative safety we still face the ever-present danger of losing our most basic rights to those who represent us.

One of our most basic rights is that of speaking our mind. This is embodied in the 1st Amendment of our “Bill of Rights” which says:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”  (read more here)

The redgage picture of the day----yellow flower

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment